Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Poor but deserving Pangasinense students will be given summer job by the provincial government under the Special Program for Employment of Students (SPES).

The SPES is a program mandated under Republic Act No. 7323 enacted on February 6, 1992 otherwise known as An Act to Help Poor but Deserving Students Pursue their Education by Encouraging their Employment During Summer and/or Christmas Vacations.

Governor Amado T. Espino, Jr. said that this program is one of the pro-poor program thrusts that his administration fully support to further strengthen youth development and empowerment in the province.

The governor said that the program will not only develop or enhance the intellectual capacities of children of poor families but rather make them more self-sufficient by giving them employment during school breaks.

Applicants are required to submit their resume to the Provincial Employment Services Office (PESO) for assessment.

PESO Chief Alex Ferrer said that qualified indigent students will be deployed to the provincial hospital, district hospitals and the Lingayen beachfront area to help maintain cleanliness in the said areas and perform clerical jobs in various health institutions for 20 days with a wage of P311 per day which is equivalent to the daily rate of a casual employee.

As called for by the SPES law, the provincial government shoulders 60 percent of the daily wage of the students covering the whole duration of the employment period which is from April 7 until May 12 while the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) shoulders the remaining 40 percent.

Last year, 50 students benefitted from the program. (PIO/Ruby R. Bernardino)

No comments:

Post a Comment